Ayurveda Medicinal Use & Benefits of Garlic
For generation, people are not only using garlic because of its medicinal value, but traditionally, people have rubbed their bodies with it, buried it besides their bodies in coffin, worn it around their necks, draped it on household walls and even prayed to it. This great bulb has many benefits, because no other plant has held out for so long as a cure for so many human ailments. That is why garlic has considered as the “Wonder Drug”. Garlic has used medicinally for many years for treating bites, tumors, ulcers, snakebite, wounds, headaches, heart diseases, cancer, pimples, measles and many more. It also prevents infections such as the common cold, cough because of its Anti-bacterial, Anti-fungal and Anti-viral property.
Garlic is used in every Indian kitchen exception is religion purposes few people do not use it. Garlic arranged in a head, called a “bulb,” which averages about 2 inches in height and diameter and consists of numerous small separate cloves.
Both the cloves and the entire bulb are encased in paper-like sheathes that can be white, off-white, or have a pink/purple hue. Although garlic cloves have a firm texture, they can be easily cut or crush. From 6th BC China and India, both are using Garlic. In India Garlic was use as medicine also from ancient times.
To get the full medicinal benefits of Garlic always purchase Fresh Garlic and use the fresh garlic by cutting or crushing them when making food.
In general, it exhibits antioxidant activity, which is good for your skin. It also contains flavonoids, which is good for heart and body.
Garlic contains a range of compounds including “Allicin”, which is a pungent oily liquid that gives crushed garlic cloves their characteristic smell, and has been shown to be the antibacterial agent due to its active sulphur.
As this proverb is very common that – “An Apple a day, keeps the doctor away”. In the same manner, – “A single bulb of Garlic a day, keep diseases away”.
Ayurveda and Garlic
a) Taste (Rasa):- Five, except sour. Pungent is the mainb)Post digestive effect(Vipak):- Pungent
d)Attributes – Heavy, unctous, penetrating,sticky, mild laxative
e)Action on Doshas – Anti Kappa, Anti Vata, Aggravates Pitta (However, if used by rasayanavidhi, it strengthens pachakapitta and causes fire stimulation.)
Family – Rasona kula [Liliaceae].
Latin name Allium sativum. Linn.
Synonym – Synonyms – Lashuna, Ugargandha, Yavaneshta, Mahaushadha, Bhutaghna, Amlakanta. Rasayanavara, Mlenchchhakandaka, Jugupsita.
Regional names – Marathi – Lasun. Hindi – Lahasuna. Guj. – Lasan, Tam. – Vella pundu. Telgu – Velluli, Mal. – Velluli. Eng. – Garlic.
Chemical Composition and Uses of Garlic –
Steamed distillation of crushed fresh bulbs yields 0.1-3.6% of a volatile oil Some sulfur-containing compounds that make up this oil are thought to be responsible for most of garlic’s pharmacological properties.
- Allicin – Natural antibiotic – fights bacteria, mainly responsible for pungent odor. When garlic cells are “injured,” (i.e. cut, crushed, etc.) the enzyme alliinase converts alliin contained in raw garlic to allicin – the garlic produces allicin to protect itself from bacteria & other disease-causing organisms.
- Allicinase – Inactivated by heat – cooked garlic does not have as strong an odor as raw garlic (nor nearly as powerful physiological effects)
- Ajoene – Decreases blood cell clumping
- Selenium – Antioxidant contained in high quantities in garlic. Antioxidants fight oxidation & free radicals inside the body that wear out the body & may lead to cancer
- Saponins – Lowers blood pressure, helps to control reduce chances of heart attack or stroke
- Fructans – stimulate the immune system
Note:- Do not consume more than three to four raw cloves of garlic a day. When Garlic eaten excessively, it can leave a distinct odor on the skin and breathe; can cause heartburn, upset stomach and allergic reactions. It is best to avoid garlic before any surgery because it could probably disturb Anticoagulants.
|Garlic nutrient analysis:||Garlic Vitamins :|
|Total weight = 18 Gram|
Nutrient amount %DV
1) Calories 26.82 1.49
2) Calories from fat 0.81
3) Calories from saturated fat 0.14
4) Protein 1.14 g 2.28
5) Carbohydrates 5.95 g 1.98
6) Dietary fiber 0.38 g 1.52
7) Soluble fiber — g
8) Insoluble fiber — g
9) Sugar – total 0.18 g
10) Mono saccharides — g
11) Disaccharides — g
12) Other carbs 5.39 g
13) Fat – total 0.09 g 0.14
14) Saturated fat 0.02 g 0.10
15) Mono fat 0.00 g 0.00
16) Poly fat 0.04 g 0.17
17) Trans fatty acids 0.00 g
18) Cholesterol 0.00 mg 0.00
19) Water 10.54 g
|1) Vitamin A IU 1.62 IU 0.03|
2) Vitamin A RAE 0.08 RAE
3) A – Carotenoid 0.16 RE 0.00
4) A – Retinol 0.00 RE
5) A – beta carotene 0.90 mcg
6) Thiamin – B1 0.04 mg 2.67
7) Riboflavin – B2 0.02 mg 1.18
8) Niacin – B3 0.13 mg 0.65
9) Niacin equiv 0.32 mg
10) Vitamin B6 0.22 mg 11.00
11) Vitamin B12 0.00 mcg 0.00
12) Biotin — mcg —
13) Vitamin C 5.62 mg 9.37
14) Vitamin D IU 0.00 IU 0.00
15) Vitamin D mcg 0.00 mcg
16) Vitamin E alpha equiv 0.01 mg 0.05
17) Vitamin E IU — IU
18) Vitamin E mg — mg
19) Folate 0.54 mcg 0.14
20) Vitamin K 0.31 mcg 0.39
21) Pantothenic acid 0.11 mg 1.10
|Garlic and Minerals :||Garlic and Amino Acids :|
|1) Calcium 32.58 mg 3.26|
2) Chloride — mg
3) Chromium — mcg —
4) Copper 0.05 mg 2.50
5) Fluoride — mg —
6) Iodine — mcg —
7) Iron 0.31 mg 1.72
8) Magnesium 4.50 mg 1.12
9) Manganese 0.30 mg 15.00
10) Molybdenum — mcg —
11) Phosphorus 27.54 mg 2.75
12) Potassium 72.18 mg 2.06
13) Selenium 2.56 mcg 3.66
14) Sodium 3.06 mg 0.13
15) Zinc 0.21 mg 1.40
|1) Alanine 0.02 g|
2) Arginine 0.11 g
3) Aspartate 0.09 g
4) Cystine 0.01 g 2.44
5) Glutamate 0.14 g
6) Glycine 0.04 g
7) Histidine 0.02 g 1.55
8) Isoleucine 0.04 g 3.48
9) Leucine 0.06 g 2.37
10) Lysine 0.05 g 2.13
11) Methionine 0.01 g 1.35
12) Phenylalanine 0.03 g 2.52
13) Proline 0.02 g
14) Serine 0.03 g
15) Threonine 0.03 g 2.42
16) Tryptophan 0.01 g 3.12
17) Tyrosine 0.01 g 1.03
18) Valine 0.05 g 3.40
|Garlic Saturated Fat:||Garlic and other nutrients:|
|Palmitic 0.02 g|
All other types of Saturated Fats = 0 gram
Garlic Mono Fats = 0 gram
Garlic and Poly Fats –
linoleic 0.04 g
All other types of Poly Fats = 0 Gram
Garlic and fatty acid –
omega-6 fatty acids 0.04 g
omega-3 fatty acids 0.00 g
|Choline 4.18 mg 0.98|
Lutein+zeaxanthin 2.88 mcg
The active component in garlic is the sulfur compound called allicin. Allicin is the chemical produced when garlic is chopped, chewed, or bruised. Allicin is powerful as an antibiotic and a potent agent that helps the body to inhibit the ability of germs to grow and reproduce. In fact, it say that 1 milligram of allicin has a potency of 15 standard units of penicillin.
Allicin known to have wonderful anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-oxidant properties
Garlic Benefits / Uses of Garlic:
Garlic Act as Antibacterial and Antiviral
Garlic is most well-known for its antibacterial and antiviral properties. They help control bacterial, viral, fungal, yeast and worm infections. Fresh garlic is thought to play a role in preventing food poisoning by killing bacteria like E. coli, Salmonella enteritidis, etc.
Garlic is good for heart (Protect heart)
Garlic protects our heart against cardiovascular problems like heart attacks and atherosclerosis. This cardio-protective property can attribute to various factors. With age, the arteries tend to lose their ability to stretch. Garlic may help reduce this and may protect the heart from the damaging effects of free oxygen radicals. The sulphur-containing compounds of garlic also prevent our blood vessels from becoming blocked and slow the development of atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). The anti-clotting properties of ajoene help prevent clots from forming inside the blood vessels.
Daily Eating 2 or 3 garlic cloves helps to keep away Heart Attack. Garlic’s vitamin B6 helps prevent heart disease via another mechanism: lowering levels of homocysteine.
Garlic helps to reduce cholesterol (Reduce cholesterol)
Garlic has the ability to moderately lower our blood triglycerides and total cholesterol and reduce arterial plaque formation. The antioxidant properties of garlic help scavenge harmful free radicals, which can damage LDL (bad) cholesterol in the blood stream.
Garlic helps maintain blood circulation (Reduce blood pressure)
Garlic helps to regulate the body’s blood pressure. Therefore, whether you have problems with low or high blood pressure, garlic can help to normalize it. Angiotensin II is a protein that helps our blood vessels contract thereby increasing the blood pressure. Allicin in garlic blocks the activity of angiotensin II and helps in reducing blood pressure. The polysulphides present in garlic are converted into a gas called hydrogen sulphide by the red blood cells. Hydrogen sulphide dilates our blood vessels and helps control blood pressure.
Garlic use for respiratory problems
Daily use of garlic might reduce the frequency and number of colds. Its antibacterial properties help in treating throat irritations. Garlic may also reduce the severity of upper respiratory tract infections. Its benefits in disorders of the lungs like asthma, difficulty of breathing, etc. make it a priceless medicine. Its ability to promote expectoration makes it irreplaceable in chronic bronchitis.
Garlic helps regulate your blood sugar levels (Diabetes)
Garlic considered regulating blood sugar levels by increasing the release of insulin in diabetics.
Garlic used as Blood thinning
The anti-clotting properties of ajoene found in garlic help in preventing the formation of blood clots in the body. Hence, it may also increase the risk of bleeding after surgery.
Garlic helps to control weight; Garlic helps in weight loss (Reduce weight)
Many researchers believe that obesity is a state of long-term low-grade inflammation. According to recent research, garlic may help to regulate the formation of fat cells in our body. Pre-adipocytes are converting into fat cells (adipocytes) through inflammatory system activity. The anti-inflammatory property of 1, 2-DT (1, 2-vinyldithiin) found in garlic may help inhibit this conversion. This may help prevent weight gain. If you are very fat and want to lose weight, squeeze half lemon juice in one glass of luke warm water and drink it with two cloves of raw garlic regularly twice a day (morning and evening), for about six months.
Garlic helps to control Cancer (Natural Chemotherapy)
Garlic has germanium in it. Germanium is an anti-cancer agent, and garlic has more of it than any other herb. Daily intake of garlic has found to lower risk of most types of cancer. This anti-cancer property is due to allyl sulphides found in garlic. PhIP, a type of heterocyclic amine (HCA), has been associated with increased incidence of breast cancer among women. According to studies, diallyl sulphide found in garlic inhibits the transformation of PhIP into carcinogens. Garlic’s ajoene and allicin have also been shown to retard cancer cells as a type of natural chemotherapy.
Use garlic as Combat allergies (Itching)
Garlic knows to have anti-inflammatory property. It can help the body fight against allergies. The anti-arthritic property of garlic is due to diallyl sulphide and thiacremonone. Garlic has been show to improve allergic airway inflammation (allergic rhinitis). Raw garlic juice may used to stop immediately the itching due to rashes and bug bites.
Garlic use to treat skin infections
The chemical Ajoene found in garlic may help treat fungal skin infections like ringworm and athlete’s foot.
Garlic can be used for Throat Pain Infection
Eat few garlic cloves to reduce the throat pain. Put a small slice of garlic in your mouth and suck on it for 10-15 minutes. Juice slides down your throat and reduces the pain.
Garlic Improves iron metabolism
Ferroportin is a protein, which helps in iron absorption and release. Diallyl sulphides in garlic increase production of ferroportin and help improve iron metabolism.
Garlic can be used for Ear Pain or Infection
Wrap a small piece of garlic in some tissue, and insert it into the ear. Leave it there for few hours if possible. Pain almost immediately removed and the infection tends to start clearing up overnight. Be Careful whenever you put something inside ear or even oil.
Garlic used for Toothache
Cut raw garlic, rub the cut edge on the tooth, and gums a couple of times a day to stop toothache.
put some garlic oil or a piece of crushed garlic clove directly onto the affected tooth and the gum for instant relief due to its antibacterial and analgesic properties. But be aware that it can be irritating to the gum.
Garlic is Effective against warts and corns
Applying fat dissolving garlic extracts to corns on the feet and warts on the hands is thought to improve these conditions.
Blood Pressure and Garlic How works?
Garlic is rich in sulfur-containing molecules called polysulfides.
Polysulfides, once inside our red blood cells (RBCs), can further converted by our RBCs into a gas called hydrogen sulfide (H2S).
H2S helps control our blood pressure by triggering dilation of our blood vessels.
When the space inside our blood vessels expands, our blood pressure gets reduced.
(H2S described as a “gaso transmitter” and placed in the same category as nitric oxide (NO) as a messaging molecule that can help expand and relax our blood vessel walls.)
Interestingly, our RBCs do not appear to use processed garlic extracts in the same way that they use polysulfides in food-form garlic.
BENEFITS OF GARLIC:
- Garlic is just magnificent and phenomenal. I am providing few of the basics known and reliable home remedies for some specific ailments, which you could try at your home .
- If you have cold and flu, then take small amount of garlic every day until the infection disappears. Garlic tends to reduce the frequency of colds and flu without any side effects. A suggested dose would be two or three cloves of raw or cooked garlic a day.
- We all face horrid acne, blemishes, blackheads during our teens. If you want to reduce it, or if you just want to glow up your skin, then take two cloves of raw garlic regularly with warm water early in the morning. It works as a blood cleanser and clean your system internally. Do not eat chocolates, spicy or oily food during this treatment and rinse your face five times a day with cold water. Drinks lots of water daily to flush off toxic waste from the blood and urinate whenever you feel that your bladder is full .Else, apply a cut clove gently on the affected area only if you have no sensitivity to it.
- If you have High Cholesterol Level, use garlic in your food. This is the better way for heart patients to reduce their cholesterol level. Modern medical science suggests one reason that garlic might reduce cholesterol, i.e. “Garlic is a proven anti-oxidant”. This property might help to prevent LDL (Low Density Lipo Protein) from being oxidize. In this way the cholesterol build-up that clogs the arteries could perhaps be reduced by garlic.
- If you are very fat and want to lose weight, squeeze half lemon juice in one glass of Luke warm water and drink it with two cloves of raw garlic regularly twice a day (morning and evening), for about three months. Avoid using starchy foods and fats. Do exercise regularly. You will amazingly fell a great change in your body.
- If you have Wrinkles, and you want to use anti ageing cream, it would be better to use 3 cloves of garlic regularly as it has a powerful antioxidant effect, which help to protect the body against damaging “Free Radicals”. Remember, out skin is made up of collagen and it loses elasticity on yearly basis. Therefore, use garlic and do exercise regularly for the positive results.
- If you have Earache, put two or three drops of warm garlic oil in the ears.
- Take garlic to boosts the weight of babies in the womb. Thus, when they are born, they are heavier than they would have been if you had not taken garlic. Some babies are born too small, so garlic is a definite boon in these cases too.
- Use two raw garlic daily to reduce the risk of cancer, due to its Anti-Carcinogenic properties. It helps prevent cancerous compounds from forming and developing into tumors. It also inhibits the growth of tumors.
- If any insect bites you at the seaside, you just crush the garlic and apply it to the affected area to reduce pain and to remove poison
HOW TO TAKE GARLIC:
Crush two or three small cloves of raw garlic and eat it raw or boiled, before going to sleep. You can have it with a glass of milk or with water. Please do not take more than two or three raw cloves of garlic per day as it might makes your blood thinner and might cause serious ailments.
Do not consume more than three to four raw cloves of garlic a day.
· Patients having heart and other problems should take medical advice before consuming it.
· It is best to avoid garlic before any surgery because it could probably disturb Anticoagulants.
· If you are on any medication, always check with your doctor first before taking raw garlic.
Asthma patients should not use it as it worsens the symptoms of Asthma.
· If you have sensitive skin, I recommend not using physically on the affected area. Raw garlic can burn delicate skin! Do not use directly on skin if your skin is sensitive or susceptible to rashes or other skin reactions without consulting your doctor first. People who are or may be allergic to garlic or any of its sulfur compounds should not try direct garlic application on skin too.
Although, garlic is a natural Anti-biotic but a very small number of people have been known to exhibit Hypersensitivity to garlic. Garlic allergy includes skin rash, temperature and headaches. Garlic intolerance could result in Heartburn or Flatulence.
POINTS TO NOTED:
It is important to remember that the effect of garlic on cold and flu comes from Allicin and this can obtained from crushed, raw garlic and destroyed by over cookin.
- Garlic cloves cooked completely have very little medicinal value.
- Garlic with strong smell has more Sulphur in it, which is good enough for medicinal purpose.